Apr 26 , 2020
In photography, the use of light is very sophisticated and important. Light can play a role in describing the shape, profile, size, texture and the surrounding environment of the subject. The same scene presents different effects under different light. To take good pictures, you must not only learn to observe the light, but also be good at using light. Only if use the light properly can we highlight the subject, control the shadow and color of the pictures and make great works.
Here are the lighting facts improving your photography you should know.
Natural light is the light that the sun shines on earth, as well as moonlight and starlight.
Ambient light is a kind of artificial light source, such as indoor lighting, outdoor street lights, neon lights, car lights and so on.
The artificial light refers to the special light, which differs from ambient light in that it can be controlled by us.
Light quality refers to the soft and hard nature of the light used in shooting, which can be divided into hard light and soft light.
Hard light (direct light)
Hard light is intense direct light, such as sunlight that is not obscured by clouds, or artificial light directly on people or objects, such as flash, lighting, etc.
Soft light (diffused light)
Diffused light, also known as soft light, is a diffusing light without clear direction and obvious shadows. It creates small contrast and transition between the light and dark. Soft light is delicate and can hide wrinkles, blemishes, devil eyes.
Front light is the most commonly used light, which is illuminated from the front of the subject. It can presents the real shape and color of the subject. Therefore, it is most commonly used in the landscape photography.
But the Front Light is not easy to produce shadows and create the three-dimensional sense so the picture may be flat and lack of artistry.
Side light is the light from the left and right sides of the subject at an angle of 45-90 degrees. The side light is ever-changing and a slight change in the angle of the light source creates a different effect for the subject. Side light is suitable for presenting the texture, contour, shape and texture of the subject, and is used to highlight or exaggerate the three-dimensional sense of the subject.
Back light refers the light from the rear of the subject which is very bright. The back light creates dramatic and poetic images that feature more details.
The top light is the light above the subject which creates a shadow under the nose and at the neck. But it is easy to produce under-eye puffiness, which is not very good-looking.
The bottom light shines vertically from bottom up, often making the subject appear gloomy, scary and rigid.
Rembrandt light is a special light t designed to photograph portraits. The side of the face with shadow faces the lens and then the light illuminates a three-quarters of the face, and either side of the face appears in an inverted triangle luminance range. Rembrandt has a strong three-dimensional sense and of rich layers.
The butterfly light, also known as Paramount Light, which creates the butterfly-shaped shadow under the nose. It is the commonly used lighting in early Hollywood film. The light source of the butterfly light is set above the face, which creates shadows on the cheeks and chin, giving a thinner face and a sharper chin that enhances the subject's appeal.
Split light is created by placing the light source to the left or right of the subject with 90 degrees, so that one side of the face is bright and the other is dark. Suitable for presenting the performance distinctive personality and temperament of the subject.
Here two economic lighting solutions would be introduced for your influencing works.
QIAYA Ring Light with Cell Pone Holder
- 3 light modes -- white, mixed and warm light, help you get the right atmosphere.
- 10 brightness options will help you create the wonderful works as you need
- Stable clip and lightweight provide you with the perfect location you need for selfies, video chats, live streaming, product display, online teaching, live beauty videos, etc.
- Flexible goose-neck tube can be easily manipulated for and angle you want.
QIAYA Ring Light with Cell Phone Holder and Tripod Stand
- Flexible lighting place. A 180-degree rotating lighting ring and a 360 degrees phone holder, easily helping you capture different levels of brightness and angle!
- 22.86 cm LED ring light, 3 color modes: white, warm yellow (color temperature: 3500-6000k). Each mode can be easily adjusted in 10 levels via the remote controller.
- The easy-to-install tripod comes in 4 grades from 27.5 inches to 46.5 inches. Just lock it at the height you want, stand on the floor, and place it on the tabletop as you need. In addition, the tripod can be used as a selfie stick itself.
- 2 in 1 function: Combine the self-timer ring light and mobile phone stand together.